1 Ouray County Historical Museum (St. Joseph’s Miners Hospital) • 420 Sixth Avenue • 1886-1887 — The Miners Hospital opened its doors on Aug. 27, 1887 under the auspices of the Sisters of Mercy. This stately old Italianate building has three floors and a partial basement with a dirt floor. There are 34 rooms in the building, 27 now devoted to local history. The hospital was in existence for 77 years, closing in 1964. By 1971 the newly organized Ouray County Historical Society leased space for exhibits and in 1976 purchased the property for a museum. It is reported to be haunted.
2 Ouray County Courthouse • 541 Fourth Street • 1888 & 1976 — The Courthouse today remains very much as it was upon completion, both inside and out. It was built of locally manufactured brick with cut stone trim by Frank Carney. The second floor district courtroom is 40’ by 56’ with an 18’ ceiling. Its natural light comes through large arched windows. This room contains many of its original furnishings. Jury rooms and other offices associated with the court are on this floor. In 1976, the courthouse was enlarged by constructing an extension on the southeast side. The building attached to the back of the courthouse was originally the county jail. Today it is office space for the County Sheriff’s Department. Courtroom scenes in the movie “True Grit” were filmed here.
3 Ashley House • 505 Fourth Street • 1888 — This elaborate Queen Anne Victorian home, built by Dr. W. W. Ashley and his wife Emma, has retained most of its original architectural flavor with a prominent bay window and several stained glass windows as well as multiple cross gables, patterned shingles and spindled porch rails. In 1960, Willis and Elizabeth Cohu bought the house which he then lovingly restored making several changes. Originally, this home featured two pariors and a circular stairway leading to the maid’s room above the kitchen.
4 Reynolds/Kullerstrand House • 510 Fifth Avenue • 1898 & 2002 — This elaborate Victorian Queen Anne home was built by Gustav Kullerstrand, an expert architect, builder and cabinet maker, and W. A. Reynolds, who partnered with Kullerstrand to build some of Ouray’s finest structures. Reynolds was the first occupant of this unusual home which features a turret (tower), a lightning rod cap at the apex of the turret, stained glass windows, many spindles, curlicues and carved woodwork on Newel posts and fireplace ornamentation. A large addition has been attached to the east side.
5 Hurlburt House • 445 Fourth Street • 1886 — The original owner of this house may have been James Gillespie, father-in-law of George Hurlburt, or H. Y. Corson. Cora Hurlburt bought the house in 1894, the year after the Silver Crisis. The Hurlburt family lived here for so many years that their name is synonymous with this lovely Queen Anne Victorian structure. The glass in the front door is etched with an “H” and the Parquet wood floors, high ceilings, Victorian wallpaper and period furnishings are outstanding features of this home. A Victorian era wrought iron fence encircles the property and a remodeled carriage house sits at the back of the lot.
6 St. John’s Episcopal Church • 334 Fifth Avenue • 1878-1880 &1978 — This was the third church built during the city’s early days. There were two earlier churches erected, one in 1877, the other in 1878. Both have been moved to other Colorado towns. Therefore, St. John’s is now the oldest. It was originally intended for the church to have a basement made from local stone crafted by Cornish masons and at least one upper floor, but the plan was never completed. Original carved woodwork and stained glass windows contribute to the look and feel of a Victorian Gothic English country church.
7 First Presbyterian Church • 336 Fourth Avenue • 1890 & 1997 — Rev. George Darley founded the Presbyterian Church in Ouray in 1877, but it was not until 1890 that the original sanctuary of this, the second church, was erected. A fire severely damaged the building in 1943. One can still see evidence of it in some of the ceiling beams even after the restoration. In 1948, an eastern addition was built. In 1975, the original stained glass windows were restored. A large addition and other remodeling was accomplished in 1997 in keeping with the Queen Anne architecture. The church bell, acquired from the demolition of Ouray’s 1883 school house, rings some Sundays.
8 Tanner House • 300 Fourth Street • 1901 — Six families have owned this spacious Dutch Colonial home built for banker Frank P. Tanner and family by G. E. Kullerstrand. There are only two homes in Ouray that reflect this type of early American architecture. Designed by architect E. E. Holman, of Philadelphia, the house has cherry and oak millwork from Pennsylvania, prismatic Italian glass windows, curved bay windows, a stained glass window over a stairway and a stamped metal wreath design in the front porch. E. E. Holman’s plans for material specifications and finishes were passed down for five generations.
9 Elks Lodge #492 • 421 Main Street • 1904 — Ouray Elks Lodge, organized in 1898 by Dr. W. W. Rowan, was the first Elks Lodge on the Western Slope. Brick for the exterior, except the front facade, came from the Ouray brick yard which was located where the Hot Springs Pool is today. There is a bowling alley and an antique bar on the main floor. The bar originally came from one of the saloons in the town of Red Mountain, south of Ouray. Two other points of interest: the building is only open to its membership, and the clock in the tower and lodge room always read 11 o’clock, an Elks’ tradition.
10 St. Elmo Hotel • 426 Main Street • 1897-1898 — Catherine “Kittie” Heit built, owned and operated this Queen Anne hotel. She also was the owner of the Bon Ton Restaurant, a Western Vernacular frame building that was located on the site adjacent to the hotel. The Bon Ton was in existence in 1886. Kittie bought it in 1890. It was torn down in 1924. The present day Bon Ton opened in 1977 and is located in the hotel’s lower level. The hotel lobby and most of its rooms are furnished today much as they were in the early days. This building is one of several in Ouray that is thought to be haunted. Owners Dan and Sandy Lingenfelter restored the original front balcony feature in 2002.